This delicious pizza recipe is made by Alex and Sonja Overhiser from A Couple Cooks and aligns with EAT-Lancet’s Planetary Health Diet.
This mushroom pizza is a white pizza, so no red sauce here! It’s covered with mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, and fresh herbs. Perfection!
EAT x Iman Meskini: How to eat to save the world.
White Mushroom Pizza
- 1 ball Best Pizza Dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (such as baby portabella, shiitake, and oyster)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme, plus more sprigs for topping
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 pinch salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Semolina flour or cornmeal, for dusting the pizza peel
The best veggie tacos? We got you!
- Make the pizza dough: Follow the Best Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Place a pizza stone (if you have) in the oven and preheat to 500°F. OR preheat your pizza oven.
- Prepare the toppings: In a saute pan or skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon olive oil to medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, chopped herbs, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. When mushrooms are tender, reduce the heat to low, add lemon juice. Remove from the heat.
- Bake the pizza: When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet. But a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; see this video for instructions. Then gently place the dough onto the pizza peel.
- Brush a thin layer of olive oil onto the crust. Then top with the mozzarella cheese in an even layer, then the cooked mushrooms, and crumbles of goat cheese. Garnish with the chopped chives and additional thyme sprigs. Sprinkle with 1 pinch salt.
- Use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes in the oven (or 1 minute in a pizza oven). Slice into pieces and serve immediately.