EAT advisory board member and renowned world-class chef Manal Al Alem and Gunhild Stordalen cook up a tasty lentil and pumpkin stew.
3/4 cup of yellow lentils
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves, minced
300 grams of pumpkin, diced
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 chilies, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin, salt, turmeric each
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground coriander, paprika, black pepper each
Serve with: yogurt, radish, scallions
- Rinse the lentils.
- In a medium pot, heat oil and stir fry the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lentils and spices.
- Cover with water and let boil for few minutes. Cover the pot and lower the heat. Let cook until the pumpkin and lentils are well done. Stir frequently and add water as needed while cooking.
- You can mash the pumpkin if you prefer or serve as is.
- Ladle the stew on serving plates, drizzle with olive oil and serve with yogurt, radish and scallions.