Broccoli stalk cakes are YUMMY! They’re good for you too—the stalks are loaded with vitamin A and C and they have a good amount of minerals, fiber, and even protein.
This recipe is made by chef Alejandra Schrader, a Food TV personality, public speaker and a part of the Chefs Network for Global Chefs. Her cooking is focusing on sustainable ingredients, forgotten crops, zero food waste and ultimately aligns with EAT-Lancet’s Planetary Health Diet.
Broccoli Stalk Cakes Ingredients
– 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
– 1/2 cup chopped onions
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 1/4 cup diced broccoli stalks
– 1 tbsp water
– 1/2 cup (loose) chiffonade lacinato kale
– 1 egg, beaten
– 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- Using a pan or skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 2-3 minutes, until they’re translucent and soft.
- Add garlic and broccoli stalks to the pan and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring often. Add water to the pan and stir again. Cover with lid and turn off the heat.
- Allow resting for at least 5 minutes. Once the mixture has cooled down, transfer to mixing bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add beaten egg and tapioca flour and mix well using your clean hands or a large whisk. Add chiffonade kale and mix until all ingredients have incorporated.
- Heat skillet again over medium heat then add 1 tbsp of oil. Divide mixture into 4 equal parts and place in the pan using a metal ring/mold, pressing down with the spatula to compact cakes (you may also carefully spoon them in.)
- Sear each side about 4 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately. This recipe yields 2 servings.