Ali Mandhry’s chicken stew
3 carrots cut into big chunks
Extra virgin olive oil
2 tomatoes, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
2 onions, finely chopped
1 small bunch of coriander
A mix of spices including curry powder, paprika, turmeric, black pepper, grated ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 table spoons of salt
3 small eggplants cut into big chunks
2 small potatoes cut into big chunks
150g boneless chicken (optional)
1 small red onion for garnish (optional)
1 cup of vegetable stock or water
- Start by adding the extra virgin olive oil to a pot that’s large and high enough to contain all the ingredients. Stove should be on a high heat.
- When the extra virgin olive oil is hot, add the onions. Sautee them for 3-4 minutes and then add the diced bell peppers, followed by the diced tomatoes. Cook for another 4-5 minutes while stirring the ingredients, then set the stove to a medium heat.
- Add the eggplants, cut into big chunks, followed by the carrots, and continue stirring the ingredients. Next add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the chicken. Once the chicken is coloured, add the mix of spices.
- Allow the ingredients to cook in the pot over a low heat and add the stock or water. Then cook over a gentle heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the stew simmer in the pan. While it is simmering, finely chop half of the small red onion and place it in a small bowl with some lemon juice to lower the pungency. Then finely chop the coriander and add it to the stew.
- After 5 minutes remove the chopped onion from the lemon juice and wash under water to remove the acidity.
- Serve the stew in a bowl and garnish it with the finely chopped red onions on top.