Date posted: 27.04.2022
Work location: Oslo, Norway
Job function: Communications
Job type: Permanent
Start date: ASAP
EAT is an international non-profit organization founded by Stordalen Foundation, Stockholm Resilience Centre and Wellcome Trust, working towards catalyzing a global food system transformation. Our vision is a fair and sustainable global food system for healthy people and planet – leaving no one behind. The organization connects and partners across science, policy, business and civil society to transform the global food system through sound science, impatient disruption and novel partnerships. Please visit EAT’s website for more information about our organization and the work we do.
In order to strengthen our communications function, we are looking for a high-performing Senior Communications Officer who has the ability to work independently, connecting with all levels of our organization and with our external stakeholders. The successful candidate must be a passionate and driven communications generalist adept at working in a fast-paced environment. The Senior Communications Officer will play a leading role in producing creative, fun, and disruptive materials that resonate with key audiences. S/he will have demonstrated experience working with global media and a proven ability to understand complex issues and break them down into concise and crisp assets. This is a collaborative role. The successful candidate will work closely with the Director of Communication and Global Engagement and external partners to keep audiences informed about EAT’s central role in transforming the global food system.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Draft communications materials including key messages, press releases, media packets and reports, news stories, briefs etc., for tailored audiences, EAT projects, and partner organizations.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with journalists and core partners in different parts of the world, working closely with the Director of Communication and Global Engagement to identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Coordinate press briefings and interviews, and prepare briefing materials for EAT leadership.
- Deliver key annual communications products, such as the EAT annual impact report and major publications.
- Assist social media and digital content creation, in collaboration with social media specialists.
- Support the coordination and implementation of EAT campaigns and engagement opportunities.
- Serve as a lead contact on proactive and reactive media opportunities.
- Support communications needs of Managing Director and Executive Chair, in Norwegian.
- At least five years of relevant work experience for a major international organization, scientific institution, public relations agency or similar.
- Strong editorial skills with proven ability to transform complex and technical information into interesting news stories for wider audiences.
- Familiarity with content management systems (WordPress and working knowledge of Sprout Social preferred).
- Excellent writing skills in English, and ability to compose engaging and accurate content in Norwegian.
- Experience with science communication and translating science for the general public is an asset.
- Ability to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts.
- Good networking and media relations skills.
- Strong organizational, teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written English and Norwegian is essential, additional languages a plus.
- Self-reliant problem solver, creative, structured and disciplined
The Senior Communications Officer reports to the Director of Communication and Global Engagement.
Terms of Employment
- The position is a paid full-time position requiring 40 hours of work per week inclusive of lunch hours.
- This is a permanent position. The desired start date is ASAP.
- EAT is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for all employees.
- The position is based at EAT’s headquarters in Oslo, Norway.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we reserve the right to close the position before the deadline if suitable candidates are identified.
All application material (CV and a cover letter) and inquiries regarding the position should be in English and directed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Communications Officer” in the subject line.
When you submit your application, EAT will collect and process your personal data for recruiting-related purposes only. For further details, please read EAT’s Privacy Statement related to recruitment and hiring here.