May Chow’s mushroom burger
A lover of burgers and the planet, May Chow cooks up a mushroom burger to compete with the best of them, as part of EAT Cook Club. Get involved and make your own version and show us how you’ve done.
Chef May Chow’s Mushroom Tempeh Burger Recipe
(makes 2 burgers)
300 g Shiitake Mushroom
1 pkt Tempeh
3 pc Shallot (diced) or 1 Onion (diced)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 tsp Five Spice Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Water
2 pcs Burger Buns Optional
2 tbsp Fried Shallots
- Cut Tempeh and Shiitake Mushroom into cubes, stir fry in a medium high heat for about two minutes.
- Add in shallots, garlic, five spice powder, cinnamon powder and fry for about two minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the different soy sauces and a tablespoon of water and stir everything together. Turn heat down to medium low and let the ingredients braise for a few minutes. If you’d like, add fried shallots for an extra crunch.
- Keep braising until the liquid is substantially reduced, then take the pan off the heat and let the ingredients cool down.
- As the patty mix is cooling, assemble burger toppings of your choice! This can be sliced tomatoes, onions, lettuce…etc. Here, May mixes minced garlic together with mayo to make a simple garlic mayo that she spreads onto the toasted buns.
- Your patty mix should be cool enough to handle by now. Form patties to your desired size and toast them on high heat on both sides until beautiful golden brown.
- Lastly, build your burger then dig in!