Manal Alalem’s stir fry
Watch World Food Programme ambassador Manal Alalem cook up a healthy stir fry with a middle eastern twist for EAT Cook Club. Get involved by making your own version and show us how you’ve done.
1 small cauliflower
½ red cabbage
2 big onions
1-2 clove of garlic
1 cup of peas
Extra virgin olive oil
Cumin, coriander seeds, cardamom
2 red chillies (if you like chillies)
1 teaspoon of sumac
1 teaspoon of salt
Half a cup of water or vegetable stock
- Start by adding the extra virgin olive oil to a thick pan, large enough to contain all the ingredients. Stove should be on a medium heat
- When the extra virgin olive oil is hot, add the onions and ginger, stir for 1 minute and then add the garlic.
- After 2 minutes, add the cauliflower and the pumpkin and allow to cook for 3 minutes
- Then followed add finely sliced red cabbage. Cover with a lid and keep cooking for 5-6 minutes making sure to stir occasionally, so it doesn’t stick.
- Then add the peas, mushrooms, and teaspoon of salt, followed by a mixture of cumin, cardamom, and crushed coriander seeds. Add half a cup of water to make sure the food does not stick to the pan and cover for another 5 minutes.
- When the water has evaporated remove the lid and finish by raising the heat of the stove for the last 1-2 mins.
- Let it rest in the pan for a couple of minutes and then serve in a large bowl with some sumac to give it a middle eastern twist.