Anahita Dhondy’s steamed fish
“When did you last try something new in the kitchen?” asked Anahita Dhondy. Try her Parsi-style steamed fish as part of EAT Cook Club. Get involved and make your own version and show us how you’ve done.
Patra Ni Machchi
For the fish:
1 kg fish (with bone, cut into 60 g pieces)
4 tbsp lemon juice
4 banana leaves
For the chutney:
1 cup fresh coconut, finely grated
2 cups fresh coriander (with stem and roots)
¼ cup mint
¼ cup sugar
50 g garlic, peeled
10 g green chilli
1 tsp cumin seeds
Ice water to blend
Lemons, sliced, for garnish
- Marinate the fish pieces with salt and lemon juice and keep aside for 1-2 hours.
- Blend all the ingredients for the chutney in a mixer. Keep aside.
- Soften the banana leaves by passing them lightly over the low flame of a gas burner. Then, cut away the stalk. Cut the leaf into squares large enough to wrap the fish pieces.
- Arrange the leaf on a clean surface. Apply one layer of chutney, then place the fish on it. Top the fish with another layer of chutney.
- Pack the fish parcel with the help of a toothpick or string.
- Steam the parcel in a rice cooker or idli steamer for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
- Garnish with lemons and serve with onion rings.
- Serve with boiled millets tossed with curry leaves and coconut.