Partner presentation: Arla
Published June 8, 2016
In 2050, there will be nine billion people on this planet. What could be more purposeful than providing more opportunities for them to easily choose a sustainable and healthy diet. This is a central focus for Arla and the reason why we have entered a partnership with EAT.
You might know us from our brands Arla®, Lurpak® and Castello®. Behind these are 12,650 cooperative farmer owners and 19,000 passionate colleagues, who all work together to maintain Arla’s position as one of the world’s leading dairy companies.
We are currently the fifth largest in the global industry. As a significant food producer, Arla plays an active role in addressing the need for healthy and sustainable food products for a growing world population as addressed in the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals. These resonate well with what we have set out to achieve in Arla.
Our main focus is on providing products that contribute to nutrition, health and food security while producing these with as few ingredients as possible and in a responsible manner that addresses social and environmental impact.
To guide our innovation and market activities, we will draw upon our health strategy that focuses not only on product development, but also on inspiring good food habits and developing partnerships with scientists and influencers.
«What could be more purposeful than providing more opportunities for them to easily choose a sustainable and healthy diet.» Hanne Søndergaard, Executive Vice President, Marketing & Innovation, Arla
There is still a lot more to understand about milk’s role in fighting global challenges such as lifestyle diseases and malnutrition – and we aim to gain this knowledge from EAT and other reputable, science-based sources and promote it through the partnerships.
Below are some examples of how far we are on our journey towards health and sustainability:
- The majority of our product naturally contains calcium which contributes to growth and maintenance of bones and teeth, protein which help build muscle mass and vitamin B12 which contributes the normal functioning of the nervous and immune system.
- We continuously seek to reduce the amount of sugar in our product range.
- We sponsor the Swedish daily TV show and website Vardagspuls that coaches and inspires people to eat heathier and understand the link between physical activity and balanced diets.
- In 2015, 1,550 Danish school children aged 13-14 learned about food, healthy cooking, raw materials and nature through a school week’s stay at the Arla Foundation’s Food Camps.
- In in cooperation with Aarhus University and University of Copenhagen we have opened Arla Foods Dairy Health and Nutrition Excellence Centre, ahub for international research and network that will enable fast translation of research into future healthy product.
- We are the world’s largest producer of organic dairy products
- The GHG impact from our transport, packaging and operations has decreased by 16 per cent compared to 2005 levels, despite increased production. Our goal is to reduce GHG by 25 per cent by 2020.
- Our farmer owners are among the best in the world when it comes to reducing GHG emissions per kilo of milk and, through our Sustainable Dairy Farming strategy, we will support them to further improve their environmental performance.
- Our goal is to achieve zero waste to landfill for all our dairies and offices by 2020. We are currently at approx. 60 per cent.
- All cocoa used for our branded products is UTZ certified.
- All soy used at Arla farms is covered with RTRS certificates or Proterra certified.
- 90 per cent of palm oil purchased during 2015 has been certified according to Round Table for Sustainable Soy.
With a vision to create the future of dairy, and make healthy, natural dairy products for people around the world in a responsible manner, there’s plenty to keep us motivated, challenged and continually developing at Arla.
Therefore, we are happy to have entered a partnership with EAT, who we hope will guide and challenge us in our ambition to help people live a more sustainable and healthier life.